The wrist is a highly complex joint found in the body. The wrist can suffer from several issues such as a sprain, torn ligament and fracture of the wrist bones. Damage caused on the ligaments affects the movement of the wrist and other problems. Ligaments are strong bands of tissues which keeps the bones attached to one another.[youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBgJHk6foxo”]
Tears in the ligament occur by falling on the hand which puts the wrist in an awkward position. There is a popping sound that can be heard when the ligament is torn.
- There is pain and swelling of the affected area.
- A popping or snapping sound when there is a tear in the ligament especially when gripping an object.
- Stiffness of the wrist joint and signs of osteoarthritis
- Pain persists when the ligament is not capable of holding the bones in the proper place.
- The pain is minimized when engaging in activities, but pain and stiffness becomes severe when there is no more movement of the wrist.
- Apply an ice pack on the affected area for 10-20 minutes at least four times every day for several days to help in minimizing the pain and swelling.
- Wrap the wrist using an elasto-crepe bandage since it provides support and compression of the joint in the wrist and also helps in immobilizing the wrist joint and prevent making the condition worse.
- Elevate the affected area above the level of the heart for 48 hours to help in proper circulation of blood in the area.
- For quick healing of the tear in the ligament, apply a cast or splint with a sling in order to help support the wrist joint for at least 4-6 weeks.
- When the torn ligaments begin to heal, perform some rehabilitation exercises to help flexibility, range of motion and strength of the wrist. Squeeze a small rubber ball or stress ball. Place it in the palm of the hand and wrap it with the fingers and squeeze it as tightly as possible. Hold the squeeze at least for 5 seconds and repeat the procedure at least 10 repetitions.
- Another exercise is using a 1-3 pound weight since it helps in strengthening the ligaments. Place the forearm with the palm side is facing up on the table with the hand and wrist hanging over the edge position the weight in the palm of the hand and take hold of it tightly by curling the wrist upward. Repeat this procedure at least 10 times.
- Perform the wrist stretch and hold the hand out in front and the palm side facing the body of the person. Use the other hand and press the fingers back until a stretch in the wrist can be felt. Maintain this position at least 30 seconds and relax and then repeat this procedure at least three times.