A strained back can cause a lot of discomfort. Pain and stiffness in the back can disrupt the daily routine of an individual either at home or at work. The condition can be due to an injury in the back muscle, usually the muscles and tendons found in the lower back. It is important to note that the back usually bears most of the weight of the body while engaging in maneuvers such as lifting, running and walking.[youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtrXMz–6s4″]
When the spinal muscles of the back are torn, pulled and twisted, it will lead to a strained back. The injury can be acute and sudden, usually when playing sports and lifting incorrectly heavy objects and can also be a severe problem caused by a repeated overuse of the muscles at the back.
Treatment and home remedies of a strained back
- Take the prescribed anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or aspirin. A strained back is caused by inflammation in the muscles found around the spine. Muscle relaxants and topical medications such as sports creams helps in reducing the discomfort.
- Encourage the individual to rest. Rest a day or two away from any activity. After two days of resting, engage in some light stretching and walking in order to avoid further stiffness of the muscles. Avoid lifting heavy weights, running as well as twisting and bending since these can make the condition worse.
- Apply a cold compress or ice pack on the affected area at least 12-15 minutes, and then remove the ice for 15-20 minutes. The application should be done every 2-3 hours in order to help minimize the inflammation. You have to perform this procedure at least three days after the onset of the injury.
- After three days of icing, apply moist heat or warm compress over the affected area for 15-20 minutes at 2-3 times every day. The heat will help loosen and relax the strained back. The individual can spend time in a hot tub with massaging jets. Remember that heat helps promote the proper circulation of blood and relaxes the spasm in the back.
- Seek the guidance of physical therapist for some stretching exercises. These exercises helps in the healing process as well as strengthen the strained ligaments and muscles. The therapist can provide stretching exercises that the individual can perform at home for fast recovery from the strained back.
- Mix a pinch of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk. This should be consumed every day until the symptoms subside. Turmeric possesses an anti-inflammatory ingredient called as curcumin that helps in minimizing pain and swelling.
Recovery of a strained back
The symptoms of a strained back typically heals completely within two weeks, but if the individual continues to experience severe back pain, difficulty when walking, feeling of numbness in the legs and back as well as constant pain even while resting, it is best to consult a doctor for further assessment.