Ringing in ears or tinnitus can be bothersome if it begins to interfere with your daily activities. There are two types of tinnitus i.e. subjective and objective tinnitus. Objective tinnitus is more severe because it can be audible to other people.[youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4BQszO8g1c”]
Options for tinnitus treatment
One of the major causes of this problem is blockage of the ear. In this case, the problem can be treated by removing excess earwax. This is done by ear irrigation in which water is flown in high pressure to ensure that the wax is removed.
This is a type of tinnitus whereby the sound in the ear synchronizes with heart beat and it mainly occurs as a result of blood vessels disorder. Tinnitus treatment of this problem relies on the treatment of the disorder on the blood vessels.
Change of the medication
There are medications that are known to cause ringing of the ears. Such medications include antibiotics, chemotherapy drugs, aspirin and antidepressants. In case such a problem arises, the best option is to change the medication.
Use noise suppressors
Noise is the major cause of tinnitus; therefore noise suppression is the best tinnitus treatment options in this case. Some of the common devices used to suppress noise includes:
- Masking devices: These devices are similar to hearing aids and they provide low level of white noise which masks the ringing noise of the ear.
- White noise machines: These devices produce sounds like the one of falling rain. It helps cover the noise of tinnitus. It is also possible to cover the noise by use of air conditioners, fans or other humidifiers.
- Tinnitus retraining: In this treatment method, the patient is provided with wearable devices along with counseling. The device produce tonal music which frequency like that of the inner noise, thus helping cover the tinnitus noise.
There are medicines used to reduce the symptoms of tinnitus, for instance, alprazolam, antidepressants and tricyclic. However, it is good to note that the medicines also come with side effects such as constipation, nausea, dry mouth and others.
Some tinnitus treatment methods you can use at home include:
- Avoiding caffeine, loud noise, smoking, salt intake and nicotine. All this will help relieve the symptoms of tinnitus.
- Avoid overconsumption of alcohol because it causes dilation of blood vessels which can make pulsatile tinnitus worse.
- Carry out exercises, stress management and relaxation therapies.
- Eat more of food rich in vitamin B that helps in treating the problem.
In case all the strategies fail, it is important to seek more medical assistant from a professional for more invasive methods of tinnitus treatment or surgery.