Tremors are involuntary shaking and trembling which are unintentional and sometimes rhythmic fluctuation of muscles to and fro. It can happen in the arms, legs, hands, trunk, face, head and the vocal cords, but usually happen in the hands. Tremors can be a symptom of another neurological disorder and it can be short-term or chronic which varies depending on the cause.[youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk8Im5TAmpw”]
The two categories of tremors are the rest or action tremors. Rest tremors happen when the body experiences severe mental stress and these tremors are indicative of Parkinson’s disease. Action tremors happen while performing certain tasks or actions which are caused by some underlying condition or side effects of some medications.
- Low blood sugar levels
- Brain tumors
- Certain medications
- Muscle fatigue
- Physiological disorders
- Stress and anxiety
- Liver failure
- Mercury poisoning
- Dystonia which is a movement disorder
- Parkinson’s disease
- Frequent urination
- Lack of coordination
- There is difficulty gripping an object
- Unsteady or shuffling gait such as moving with short sliding steps without lifting the feet
- Difficulty in writing or feeding oneself
- Quavering voice
- Tingling or numbness can be felt in different parts of the body
- Rhythmic shaking of the hands, arms, trunk or the vocal cords
- Bad posture
- Loss of consciousness
- Difficulty understanding what is being said
- Loss of vision and disturbances with vision
- A slurred speech
- Stiffness of the trunk
- Minimize the intake of caffeine in order to help lessen the production of adrenalin in the body that makes the tremors worse.
- Perform regular exercises helps in relieving stress and anxiety and also helps in preventing future attacks of tremors.
- Minimize stress by performing deep breathing exercises, yoga, meditation and Tai-chi. Take note that these help in minimizing the tremors and improve the overall health of the body.
- Get plenty of sleep which is needed in order to help prevent fatigue of the muscle and exhaustion that can lead to tremors.
- Avoid alcohol in order to avoid making the condition worse.
- Add a little weight on the hands by wearing bracelets or watches that are heavy to help minimize tremors and provide more control on the hands.
- When drinking beverages, it should only be half-filled in cups or glasses and use a straw.
- Nutritional supplements such as omega-3 fatty acids help in keeping the nerves healthy and lessen the inflammation. Take a balance B-complex of 50mg-100mg to help keep healthy nerves.
- Eat foods high in magnesium content such as beans, nuts, sesame seeds and leafy green vegetables.
- Take valerian herb since it helps in calming the nerves and helps with sleeping.
- Take herbs such as skullcap and Passion flower since these can also help in calming the nerves.