Both children and adults can end up with bed bug bites. Bed bugs are tiny, nocturnal parasites that feed on human blood and usually found in shelters, hotels and dormitories.
They usually thrive in mattresses and other dry and warm areas such as crevices of wall, dressers, bed frame, window casings and rugs. Babies bitten by bed bugs can be managed by controlling the itchiness, discomfort and eliminating the bed bugs.
Bed bugs bites appear as red or pink bumps in lines or clusters in the skin. If the baby is sensitive to the bites, it can trigger evident swelling. The reactions to the bed bug bite varies for each child where some suffer from mild to severe itchiness and allergic reactions while others do not have any reaction at all.
Bed bugs do not spread diseases. Babies who scratch the affected area using their fingernails can increase the risk for infection or cry continually due to the discomfort. Babies can suffer from loss of sleep and becomes irritable. In severe cases, the bites can lead to scarring of the skin.
Severe symptoms of bedbug bites
- Development of abscess, redness and swelling of the affected area
- Difficulty breathing caused by an allergic reaction the bed bug bites
- Give the baby an oatmeal bath. In a small bathtub filled with warm water, mix powdered oatmeal until totally dissolved. Soak the baby in the solution to lessen the itchiness of the affected area.
- Trim the nails to prevent scratching of the bites while in the healing process. Scratching the bite site can result bleeding and increase the risk for a bacterial infection. If a bacterial infection develops, seek medical help immediately.
- Apply a prescribed over-the-counter low-strength topical corticosteroid cream or ointment such as hydrocortisone to lessen the itchiness. Apply on the affected areas.
- Wash all linens used by the baby using hot water and dry in a dryer at the hottest setting. Wash all furniture to remove any eggs and fix any cracks found in the furniture. Vacuum the room regularly including the mattresses especially the seams and surrounding crevices. Seal all cracks in the room and check all adjoining rooms in the area.
- Avoid used uphostery or furniture and if there is a need to use them, vacuum them properly before use to eliminate any bed bugs.
- While traveling, check rental vehicles for any signs of bed bugs before using them. When staying in hotels, avoid putting the luggage near the bed.
- Wash all clothes and upholstery using hot water regularly to eliminate any bed bugs.
- Seek professional help in eliminating the pests.
- Minimize clutter in the house.